Sunday 29 April 2018

Coffee Stained Paper

Hiya

Just sharing what I have learnt today.  I have been on a bookmaking course, well actually, part 2 of a bookmaking course.  I did the first part last month where we made a case which holds 4 signatures.  We made the signatures today using a Japanese Stab binding technique. I'll post the pictures of the book soon but I haven't quite finished it yet.  To cover the signatures we created some coffee stained papers using very strong instant coffee and we sprinkled sea salt on while they were still wet.  Apparently the salt draws the moisture from the coffee to make very interesting effects.  Unfortunately they weren't quite dry enough to use so I chose some lovely papers to match the cover.

I was eager to get home and try some more of the coffee papers.  The first one was some sheet music which I heat embossed with white embossing powder to use as a resist.  I dabbed a weak mix of coffee on and put the cup on to make the coffee ring stain.  This turned out a lot better than I thought it would (first picture).  The second one I used a stronger coffee and ground sea salt and again using the cup to make the rings.  The third one I crumpled the paper up, straightened it all out and brushed strong coffee on then when it was dry gave it a good press with the iron.




No comments:

Post a Comment